Domain name is like identity (business name) of your online presence.
It is a trend now (Recommended) to check if the .com domain name is available to registration even before one names a company.
If your company name is ABC Inc and imagine, some one else holds the domain abcinc.com
There are always names available like abc-inc.com , abcinc.co , abc-inc.net but this should be the last option.
I will write more about choosing domain names, but will first talk about the very process.
Points to remember
- Domain should be registered in your name
- You should already have a username/password for a web control panel to manage your domains or you should create one while registering it.
- Even if your web developer registers your domain, you should get all automated emails about your domain name while registering to your personal email id.
- To check if you own your current domain name, go to Google, search for whois . You will get lots of FREE whois detail providers. Key-in your domain name to check if you own your domain name.
- Domain registrars & domain resellers give you your own domain control panels.
- A normal domain registration fee is usually US$ 10/year. Many a times you get great offers for first year registrations at places like Go Daddy
- Registrars may charge very high amounts for renewal. Always remember it is easily transferable to other registrars.
How to register a domain name
- Visit a place like domainregistrationinindia.com (Desclaimer: My service) or Go daddy etc.
- Search for the domain you want to register
- If available, add to cart
- Checkout / Register Now
- Select other products you want (You can always skip this)
- Login to your account / create new account (You will get a new control panel to manage your domain.
- Make payment
- You are done! Your domain should be registered in few moments & you should receive a confirmation email. You should also see this domain in your domain control panel with an expiry date as per your period of registration selected (1 to 10 years)